Maryland online sports betting will launch on Nov. 23, the Maryland State Lottery & Gaming Control Commission announced on Thursday, Nov. 17.
Sports bettors in Maryland can download Maryland sports betting apps or register on a computer now, and deposits can be made before the actual launch date next Wednesday.
A controlled demonstration will be conducted in the days prior to the launch date, which arrives in time for Thanksgiving Day NFL games. The state will meet its goal of having online sports betting live before the end of 2022. Maryland Gov. Larry Hogan signed sports betting into law in May of 2021, and Maryland retail sportsbooks opened in December of that year. But the long delay for online sportsbooks has frustrated many in the Old Line State.
This week, Maryland’s Sports Wagering Application Review Commission awarded licenses to 10 sports betting operators. Once a soft launch is completed, state officials will issue the actual licenses, clearing the way for a statewide launch.
Bettors in Maryland must be at least 21 years of age, and also verify their location within the state. The law allows for wagering on professional sports and collegiate athletics.
Which Mobile Sportsbooks Will Be Available in Maryland?
During its Wednesday, Nov. 16 meeting, the SWARC awarded licenses to many of the top sportsbooks, including:
In addition, Barstool, Betfred, and TwinSpires were awarded licenses by SWARC.
Most sports betting apps in Maryland are offering bonuses for users in the state. PointsBet, BetMGM, and DraftKings are offering $200 in free bets. Caesars Maryland and FanDuel Maryland are giving $100 in free bets to new users in Maryland.
Sports bettors in Maryland will be able to register in minutes with their chosen sportsbooks. It’s a good idea to consider registering with multiple sportsbooks, to receive multiple offers or bonuses and take advantage of the best odds.
Timeline for Maryland Sports Betting Launch
According to Maryland State Lottery & Gaming Control, the state will follow this schedule in its launch of mobile sports betting:
- Nov. 16-23: Register with approved online sportsbooks in Maryland and make deposits ahead of the launch date.
- Nov. 21-22: Controlled demonstration of online sportsbooks and sports betting.
- Nov. 23: Maryland online sports betting launch day.
- Nov. 24: Thanksgiving Day provides three NFL games for sports bettors.
Your First Maryland Sports Bet
The long wait for sports bettors in Maryland is nearly over. In time for NFL Thanksgiving games, in plenty of time for weekend games in the NFL and college football, sports fans in Maryland will be able to place wagers on their favorite teams and players online via sports betting apps.
Maryland allows moneyline bets, point spread betting, same-game parlays, futures, prop bets, and live sports wagering. That means many options are available in the first days of legal sports betting in the state.
These events promise to be some of the most popular when Maryland flips the switch to permit online sports betting on Nov. 23.
NFL Week 12 Games
- Buffalo Bills at Detroit Lions, Thursday, Nov. 24, 12:30 p.m. ET
- New York Giants at Dallas Cowboys, Thursday, Nov. 24, 4:30 p.m. ET
- New England Patriots at Minnesota Vikings, Thursday, Nov. 24, 8:20 p.m. ET
- Atlanta Falcons at Washington Commanders, Sunday, Nov. 27, 1 p.m. ET
- Baltimore Ravens at Jacksonville Jaguars, Sunday, Nov. 27, 1 p.m. ET
- Cincinnati Bengals at Tennessee Titans, Sunday, Nov. 27, 1 p.m. ET
- Los Angeles Rams at Kansas City Chiefs, Sunday, Nov. 27, 4:25 p.m. ET
- Washington Wizards at Miami Heat, Wednesday, Nov. 23, 7:30 p.m. ET
- Washington Wizards at Miami Heat, Wednesday, Nov. 25, 8 p.m. ET
- Utah Jazz at Golden State Warriors, Friday, Nov. 25, 10 p.m. ET
- Rutgers at Maryland, Saturday, Nov. 26, 12 p.m. ET
- No. 3 Michigan at No. 2 Ohio State, Saturday, Nov. 26, 12 p.m. ET
- Auburn at No. 8 Alabama, Saturday, Nov. 26, 3:30 p.m. ET
AP Photo/Butch Dill