Online and retail sports betting is legal in Maryland but has yet to launch. But with a draft of the rules coming out soon, the state appears to be on track for sports betting to go live in fall 2021. In preparation for the launch, we can discuss how to bet on the Baltimore Ravens.
It will become much easier for fans of the Baltimore Ravens to bet on their favorite team once online betting is legal. With how the Ravens have played recently (14-2 in 2019; 11-5 in 2020), there is money to be won betting on Baltimore.
Where Can You Bet On The Baltimore Ravens?
Several sportsbooks have already gained access to the Maryland market and established a relationship with a casino or retail location. But sportsbooks will have to wait for the rules and regulations to get finalized before they can launch.
When they do, they will all take bets on the Baltimore Ravens and on the Super Bowl. The opening odds will probably not differ much amongst the various sportsbooks. But once they start taking bets, sportsbooks will adjust their odds as necessary depending on how the public bets.
Maryland Online Sportsbooks
When the Sports Wagering Application Review Commission starts approving applicants, there could be as many as 60 mobile sports betting licenses approved. The following online sportsbooks are expected to be among the first to launch in Maryland:
- BetMGM: As one of the most well-known and trusted brands in the online sports betting industry, it would not be shocking if BetMGM were among the first to get approved for a license in Maryland. With competitive odds and fantastic promotions for new and existing users, Maryland bettors will be happy to have BetMGM launch in-state. BetMGM was also the first sportsbook in Maryland to announce a partnership with the Baltimore Ravens.
- DraftKings: Thanks to its time as a daily fantasy operator, DraftKings is one of the most recognizable names in the US online sports betting industry. With the DFS platform already live in Maryland, it would be surprising if DraftKings was not among the first to launch in-state.
- FanDuel: Like the other daily fantasy giant, FanDuel benefits from name recognition much like DraftKings does. With a great app, competitive odds, and user-friendly bonuses and promotions, FanDuel is bound to be a big hit among bettors in Maryland.
Retail Sportsbooks In Maryland
Maryland’s sports betting law authorized the Commission to approve as many as 30 retail sports betting licenses. However, of those 30, there are 17 earmarked for specific venues should they apply for a license, i.e., Camden Yards, M&T Bank Stadium, FedEx Field, casinos, horse racetracks, OTBs, Maryland State Fairgrounds, etc.
The following retail locations are expected to be among the first to get approved for a sports betting license:
- MGM National Harbor (BetMGM): The casino began preparing to open a sportsbook before Maryland’s governor had even signed the legislation legalizing sports betting.
- Live! Casino and Hotel (FanDuel): One of the top tourist destinations in Maryland, the casino will look to launch one of the most popular sportsbooks in the nation once as soon as regulations allow.
- Horseshoe Casino (Caesars Sportsbook): With one of the most well-known and respected names in the sports industry, the Caesars retail sportsbook location inside the Horseshoe Casino will likely be popular.
How NFL Betting Odds Are Calculated
Oddsmakers will have their own way of calculating odds. Still, all will employ some form of advanced mathematics, algorithms, whatever data they can get their hands on, and their experience to come up with the opening odds for a market.
But once they post the opening odds, they may change due to any relevant new information (i.e., injuries, player availability, etc.) and how the public bets. If a high percentage of bets are taken on one side of a game, sportsbooks will shift the odds to give the other side of the bet more value.
That way, no matter what the outcome of the game is, the sportsbook is protected.
Betting lines for a game will look something like this one for the Ravens-Raiders game in Week One of the 2021 season (odds via DraftKings):
|Point Spread||Moneyline||Total (over/under)|
|Baltimore Ravens||-4.5 (-108)||-220||51.5 (-103)|
|Las Vegas Raiders||+4.5 (-113)||+175||51.5 (-120)|
If you take the Ravens to cover the spread, and they do, you will need to bet $108 to win $100. But if you bet on the Raiders to win via the moneyline, a bet of $100 will win you $175. Take the under on the total, and it will take a bet of $120 to win $100 should the two teams combine for less than 51.5 points.
What Kinds Of Bets Can Be Placed On The Baltimore Ravens
Odds For The Baltimore Ravens 2021-2022
|To Win The Division (AFC North)||+125||+115||+115|
|To Win The Conference (AFC)||+650||+750||+650|
|To Win The Super Bowl||+1400||+1400||+1400|
|To Make/Miss The Playoffs||-305/+235||-334/+260||-334/+260|
|Win Total (Over/Under)||10.5 (-155/ +127)||10.5 (-150/+125)||10.5 (-135/+105)|
Fans of the Baltimore Ravens will have several ways to put money down on their favorite team. There are several futures bets they could make (i.e., winning the division, conference, or Super Bowl). But the most common would have to be on games via the betting line.
The betting line will consist of three different types of wagers:
- Point Spread: A number that is either negative (for favorites) or positive (for underdogs), the point spread is a number favorites must win by more than. When it comes to underdogs, they can win as long as they do not lose by more than the spread.
- Moneyline: For those interested in picking the winners straight up will want to bet the moneyline. Bets on favorites tend to win less, while bets on the underdogs typically result in higher payouts.
- Total (over/under): The total is a number sportsbooks think the final score between both teams could add up to be. Bettors can bet whether the score will be over the total or under it.
What Is An NFL Futures Bet
Futures bets are simply bets that can be made on something that will be decided in the future, i.e., winner of the AFC North, winner of the AFC, the Super Bowl winner, etc. Bets can be taken from when the odds get posted until a given end date or when the outcome appears clear and books take the odds down. Consequently, you can place bets as long as odds are posted.
But keep in mind that odds may shift, but you will get paid according to the odds when you placed your bet.
How To Place Prop Bets On Baltimore Ravens
Prop bets, also known as proposition bets, are wagers that fans can place on whether something will or will not happen during a game that does not directly impact the game’s outcome or an individual’s performance.
These are especially popular when it comes to betting on the Super Bowl. For example, sportsbooks will often have odds on things like how long the National Anthem will last, the result of the coin flip, the game’s first score, the game’s MVP, etc.
The following prop bet was offered before Super Bowl LV:
- What team will score last in-game?
- Kansas City -120
- Tampa Bay +100
How To Bet On The Baltimore Ravens In Maryland
Once sports betting goes live in Maryland, bettors will be able to bet at retail locations, online, or via a mobile app. The following steps describe how bettors in Maryland can place bets on the Ravens:
- Research the available sportsbooks to see which will be the best one for you. For the sake of this example, let’s say you like DraftKings the best.
- Go to either the Google Play or Apple store to download the version of the app that will work for your mobile device.
- Register for a new account with DraftKings.
- Make your first deposit.
- Navigate to the page where the market you want to bet on is located.
- Click on the odds for that market. Then enter how much you wish to wager in the appropriate box on the betting slip.
- Once you are ready, click on ‘place bet’ to officially place your bet.
How To Bet On The Super Bowl In Maryland
Fans can bet on the Super Bowl in one of two ways. They can place a futures bet or wait until the betting line is posted and then bet the point spread, moneyline, or total.
You can place futures bets from when the odds get posted up until a given date and time. DraftKings has the closing date and time for futures bets on Super Bowl LVI listed as February 13 at 5 PM.
Some sportsbooks will have odds listed for various futures related to the Super Bowl, like what division, conference, or state the winner will come from. Prop bets for the Super Bowl will concern obscure things like the length of the National Anthem, the result of the coin flip, and various player performance marks (among other things).
Bettors in Maryland can put money down on the Super Bowl even if the Ravens are not playing in the game.
Baltimore Ravens Partnerships
The Baltimore Ravens wasted no time establishing a partnership with BetMGM doing so less than 24 hours after the law legalizing sports betting was signed into law. Under the terms of the partnership, BetMGM signage will be visible in M&T Bank Stadium and on Ravens digital and social media outlets.
The team and BetMGM will also collaborate on co-branded promotional campaigns. Also, the BetMGM app will feature Ravens promotions and marketing campaigns.
Baltimore Ravens Sports Betting FAQs
Vegas oddsmakers calculate odds much like everyone else. They take the information available on the team and its opponents and with the help of some computer algorithms and complex math, they come up with the opening odds.
Once sportsbooks launch in Maryland, they will offer odds on the Baltimore Ravens.
Betting on the NFL, in general, is incredibly popular, but with the Ravens becoming one of the better teams in the league, they have become one of the more popular bets. Before the 2020 season, the Ravens had the third-highest amount of money bet on them (USAToday; March 2020).
Heading into the season, they had the second-highest percentage of bets to win the AFC. However, as the season stretched into December, they were not in the top five (by the percentage of bets).
The closest sportsbook to the Ravens stadium is at the Capitol One Arena (Caesars Sportsbook by William Hill) in Washington, DC. Once sportsbooks go live in Maryland, the Horseshoe Casino in Baltimore will likely be the closest unless the Ravens decide to apply for a license and open one at M&T Bank Stadium.
Once sports betting launches in Maryland, bettors will be able to put money down on the Super Bowl via one of the many online sportsbooks and at licensed retail locations. Places eligible to apply for a retail license (Class A or B) include:
- Professional sports venues
- Horse racetracks
- Smaller businesses
- Off-track betting facilities
- Bingo operators with at least 200 electronic gaming machines
- The Maryland Fairgrounds
Many sportsbooks have the Ravens listed with +1400 odds to win the Super Bowl, but you can find +1200 odds at PointsBet.